A much smarter man than I once told me there are two things to remember about humility...
- If you think you have it, you definitely do not.
- Humility isn’t about thinking less of yourself, but rather thinking of yourself less.
So how do we practice more humility?
Here is a list of ways Mother Teresa suggests we can practice more humility, in her book The Joy in Living:
- To speak as little as possible of one's self.
- To mind one's own business.
- Not to want to manage other people's affairs.
- To avoid curiosity.
- To accept contradictions and correction cheerfully.
- To pass over the mistakes of others.
- To accept insults and injuries.
- To accept being slighted, forgotten and disliked.
- To be kind and gentle even under provocation.
- Never to stand on one's dignity.
- To choose always the hardest.
As Brother Lamar so eloquently tells us,
“Sit down. Be humble.” 😂