Today we celebrate The Solemnity of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus.
The devotion to the Sacred Heart refers to Jesus Christ's physical heart as the representation of his divine love for humanity.
The popularization of this devotion in its modern form is derived from Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque, who said she learned the devotion from Jesus during a series of apparitions to her between 1673 and 1675.
She wrote, "He disclosed to me the marvels of his Love and the inexplicable secrets of his Sacred Heart."
He promised that, in response to those who consecrate themselves and make reparations to His Sacred Heart, that:
- He will give them all the graces necessary in their state of life.
- He will establish peace in their homes.
- He will comfort them in all their afflictions.
- He will be their secure refuge during life, and above all, in death.
- He will bestow abundant blessings upon all their undertakings.
- Sinners will find in His Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy.
- Lukewarm souls shall become fervent.
- Fervent souls shall quickly mount to high perfection.
- He will bless every place in which an image of His Heart is exposed and honored.
- He will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
- Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names written in His Heart.
- In the excessive mercy of His Heart that His all-powerful love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion on the First Fridays in nine consecutive months the grace of final perseverance; they shall not die in His disgrace, nor without receiving their sacraments. His divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.
Jesus, meek and humble of Heart,
Make our hearts like unto Thine.